Monday, June 4, 2012

My head is full of music

My brain is full. Overwhelmed with melodies, harmonies, instrumentation.....the list goes on and on....but I can't take a break yet. I am going to work through the music until I find a path that fits correctly.

Today, I met with Denise Eaton to discuss programming - she is a wealth of knowledge and skill. Just 2 hours, but I would have loved a couple of days with her. I would love to take her Choral Methods class at SHSU - it would be worth every penny.

I showed her my Yes and Maybe piles. Small, but notable. She liked the ideas, but said there are too many language pieces, too many a cappella pieces, and too many folk songs in the piles. Hmmm...I needed to hear this, a different perspective. Regroup and look for accompanied pieces with English text. Not my strongest skill, but that will improve. I have time.

Admittedly, not all English texts appeal to me. Some nature texts are just way too abstract and composers don't always fit the music to the text. Some texts are too cheesy for me. And I can be the Queen of Cheese......my kids sing Gilpin's Why We Sing every year.

Denise is worried that I seem anxious. Honestly, I don't feel that way right now. I am just trying to process incoming information and compartmentalize it all. But anxiety is okay, at this point. Anxiety will make me work to achieve the goals on time. Then I let all of the puzzle pieces fall into place and get the girls on stage.

It was such a thick conversation in a short amount of time. It is easy to understand why people love and revere her.

1 comment:

  1. You are going to be amazing!

    I think you are in a good place!

    I am not to be revered . . I am just old!

    Start looking now for something to wear - you are not a man - they can just wear a tux :-)

    ReplyDelete