Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Reality Check

For those parents who did not attend the Advanced Treble Choir meeting during the last week of school, I have been meeting with them individually. Making sure that everyone is on the same page. Gathering signed commitment contracts. Nothing like a different perspective to bring it all home today. A parent asked me why a bunch of choir directors would go to San Antonio to listen to a choir concert. I had to regain my composure and think of an appropriate & practical answer.

Perspective is delightful and scary. This is huge & important to me.  To my profession. As with any topic in education, I have sell the importance of this artistic experience to the parents and students.

It really means nothing. Do I believe that? No. However, finding purpose in this experience will be a challenge. It has to be about more than getting out of school for a day and traveling to San Antonio. It must become about SHARING MUSIC with our community. I can't control what parents & students think about this experience, but I don't want them to view it as "just one more thing to do."

Art takes time and effort. Have we, as a society, lost sight of this standard?


No comments:

Post a Comment