Thursday, May 24, 2012

Final Exams Day 4

The last few students took their final exams today. Several have been out sick for the past few days. They were very worried about how they would sound. I wasn't. The final exam is just a snapshot of musicianship, but the whole year is taken into consideration.
In the past 4 days, I have heard some surprises (wow, they really get it), disappointments (hmm, they don't know as much as I thought), problems (vocal difficulties), and  proud moments (when they firmly grasp pitch matching & sightreading). Next year's sightreading plan will change to incorporate more tonal memory exercises. Evidently, I don't teach this concept as well as I hoped.
After I finished grading, I began character evaluations & attendance/grade checks. The character evaluations are subjective yet based on 9 mos of working with these students. Attendance & grade checks are all objective. The pile of evaluations is going to sit for a few days....ruminating.
Tomorrow, we go outside for snowcones!

No comments:

Post a Comment