Wednesday, June 27, 2012

The light at the end of the funnel

Last week, we went on vacation for the first time in 9 years. A family vacation in a rented beach house on Galveston Island - there were 10 of us - 6 adults and 4 children under 3yo. I don't remember the last time I was that relaxed for 8 whole days. Crazy, loud, chaotic, disorganized, but it was very fun. I was so happy not to be in charge of anything. I needed that time. I took work with me, but I didn't touch it.

Today, I spent the day at school. Look, read, play, analyze, research....all to find that I am near the end of repertoire decisions. At one point, I had 15-20 pieces of music in front of me and I just said Yes and No to each one. That process left me with 11-15 pieces. Ugh. There are pieces that I just LOVE so much. They will be left on the cutting room floor. Then I began to put the pieces on paper. Title, composer, arranger, publisher, voicing, accompaniment, key signature, tempo, form, language, and PML grade. How does each piece stack up against the other?

Here is the bottom end of the funnel:  I am down to 12 pieces. 8 standout pieces. 4 backups. There are 5 foreign languages. 4 a cappella pieces. 4 pairings.

At the end of the day, I was pleased with my work. I felt relieved. In the next couple of weeks, I could have a program complete.

Next, the grocery store. On my way out, I ran into Dennis Boyter. He congratulated me and told me to enjoy the process.

I am enjoying the process. So much. I wouldn't enjoy it if I wasn't prepared. In fact, today, I started getting excited about all of the other parts of the choir program today - picking music for other groups, cleaning up the choir library, filing papers, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment