Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Presenter

I asked Julie Birkner to 'present' me & the girls at TMEA. Julie is my junior high & high school choir director from Bryan High School. Actually, she was the assistant at the high school. I have known Julie for almost 30yrs - which coincidentally, is also our age difference.
 
I could tell many a story. It boils down to this - Julie was THAT teacher in my life. She saw something in me that I couldn't see for myself. She taught how & why to find it. When I couldn't afford voice lessons but needed them, she found a way. Every Wednesday, I drove the van to school so that I could go to Mrs. Birkner's house afterschool. I cleaned her house. Badly. Then she came home at 5pm & gave me a voice lesson. It was our exchange.
 
She made me behave. She made me stop talking in rehearsal. She taught me how to teach myself harmony. She didn't give up on me. She rejoiced in my success.
 
So much love.

No comments:

Post a Comment